May 23 2012
Summer Travel Season Kicks Off at RDU
Cell phone lot available for motorists picking up arriving passengers
RDU Airport, NC – The summer travel season officially kicks off this Memorial Day weekend at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. More than 135,000 people are expected to travel through RDU beginning today through Monday, May 28. The busiest day for travel will be Friday when close to 30,000 people will fly in and out of RDU.
Passengers are reminded to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before their flight departs.
Complimentary Cell Phone Lot Available
Airport officials remind motorists picking up arriving passengers at RDU that a complimentary cell phone lot is available at the RDU Center building. Located in the rental car area, the parking lot is a short drive to each terminal.
Motorists who do not want to go into the terminals are encouraged to use the cell phone lot, where they can wait for their party to contact them after they have retrieved their bags.
View a map to RDU’s cell phone lot.
Summer Travel Tips
- To speed up the security
screening process, present your photo ID and your airline boarding pass
when you enter the security checkpoint.
- Limitations on liquids
and gels in carry-on luggage are still in place. The TSA reminds
passengers of the 3-1-1 rule for liquids, gels and aerosols at the
- 3-ounces or less for all liquids, gels and
aerosols placed in
- 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag
- 1 bag per passenger placed separately in a
security bin for X-ray screening
The liquid restrictions apply only
to carry-on bags. Passengers can pack larger quantities of liquids and gels in
- Removing footwear for
X-ray screening is required for everyone over the age of 12. Wearing
footwear that can be easily removed helps speed the security screening
process. Also, place sweaters and jackets in one of the bins at the
For more tips and information on the security screening process, visit the TSA website.
Tips for Families
Following is RDU’s annual list of travel tips for families:
- Children must be removed from strollers and carriers before proceeding through the security screening area.
- All carry-on items, including strollers, child seats, diaper bags, blankets and toys must go through security screening procedures.
- All bags hanging on and carried under strollers must be removed and put through the X-ray machine.
- To expedite the screening process, passengers should collapse and fold strollers and place them on the X-ray belt.
- Sharp or pointed toys should be packed in checked luggage.
- If a child is traveling alone, families can make special arrangements with their airline to accompany the child to the departure gate..
Back to Press Releases
Back to Home Page